Junior Wells: Hoodoo Man Blues

Posted on 2:47:00 PM by Vincentius Kedang

Hoodoo Man Blues is not only Junior Well's initial LP appearance, it is damn near the first LP by a Chicago blues band. Chess and a few other labels had issued 45's by Muddy Waters, Sonny Boy Williamson, Howling Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Elmore James, etc. but virtually no one had tried to capture the Chicago blues sound free of limitations of juke-box/airplay promotion. Delmark is proud of the part Hoodoo Man Blues played in the popularization of the real Chicago blues and of Junior Wells. But the credit belongs to Junior, Buddy, Jack and Billy - they made the music. We just sat and dug it.
''One of the truly classic blues albums of the 1960s, and one of the first to fully document the smoky ambience of a night at a West Side nightspot in the superior acoustics of a recording studio. Wells just set up with his usual cohorts - guitarist Buddy Guy (billed as 'Friendly Chap' on first vinyl pressings), bassist Jack Myers, and drummer Billy Warren - and proceeded to blow up a storm, bringing an immediacy to Snatch It Back and Hold It, You Don't Love Me, Chitlin con Carne, and the rest of the tracks that is absolutely mesmerizing.


Download

2 Response to "Junior Wells: Hoodoo Man Blues"

.
gravatar
Amy Says....

If one day you feel like crying,
Call me.
I don’t promise that I will make you laugh,
But I can cry with you.

If one day you want to run away,
Don’t be afraid to call me.
I don’t promise to ask you to stop,
But I can run with you.

If one day you don’t want to listen to anyone,
Call me.

I promise to be there for you.
And I promise to be very quiet.

But if one day you call,
And there is no answer,
Come fast to see me,
Perhaps I need you.

Leave A Reply